The enactment of Data Protection Law No. 2018-493 represents a significant milestone in France’s implementation of the new European corpus on data protection.
- The new law increases fines and considerably reinforces the CNIL’s (Commission nationale de l’informatique et des libertés ) powers, thereby enhancing the efficiency of the regulator’s actions
- The new law implements derogations to the GDPR that apply to French residents, regardless of the data controller’s country of establishment
- French law will further adapt to the new European corpus in the coming months.
Adopted under this new French Law:
- Territorial Scope
- The Age of Consent of Minors
- The Possibility to Bring a Class Action
- Data Processing Related to Criminal Convictions, Offenses, and Security Measures
- The Suppression of Preliminary Formalities
See full alert for more information.